1. What is ( 999 − 99 + 9 ) ÷ 9 ?
2. How many minutes are there in 1/12 of a day?
3. In my row in the theatre the seats are numbered consecutively from T1 to T50. I am sitting in seat T17 and you are sitting in seat T39.
How many seats are there between us?
4. The number 987 654 321 is multiplied by 9.
How many times does the digit 8 occur in the result?
5. What is the difference between the smallest 4-digit number and the largest 3-digit number ?
The diagram shows a square divided into strips of equal width.
Three strips are black and two are grey.
What fraction of the perimeter of the square is grey?
7. What is 2014 − 4102?
8. How many prime numbers are there in the list
1, 12, 123, 1234, 12 345, 123 456 ?
9. Triangles XYZ and PQR are drawn on a square grid.
What fraction of the area of triangle XY Z is the area of triangle PQR?
10. An equilateral triangle is surrounded by three squares, as shown.
What is the value of x?
11. The first two terms of a sequence are 1 and 2.
Each of the following terms in the sequence is the sum of all the terms which come before it in the sequence.
Which of these is not a term in the sequence?
12. In this subtraction, P, Q, R, S and T represent single digits.
What is the value of P + Q + R + S + T ?
13. A rectangle is split into triangles by drawing in its diagonals.
What is the ratio of the area of triangle P to the area of triangle Q?
14. Which of these is equal to one million millimetres?
15. The diagram shows a rectangular envelope made by folding (and gluing) a single sheet of paper.
What could the original unfolded sheet of paper look like?
(The dashed lines are the fold lines.)